Sunday, December 3, 2006

Podcast 9 - 2nd half of Double Post...and a story of wonderful chance

I love the way "chance" can work in your favour sometimes...not always but sometimes...I was feeling very down today and this particular ten records just happened to cheer me up totally. Something about the variation in this lot and how they all appeared by chance. I love it !!

So here's the second part of today's double post with The Darling Buds, Biff Bang Pow, Felt, The Clientele and Tracey Thorn among others.


Podcast 9 link



Sideroom 7 Inch Singles Podcast #9
1.
World War 3 - XL Capris ( Axle Recs Aust 1980 )
2. Shame On You - The Darling Buds ( Native Recs 1988 )
3. Someone Stole My Wheels - Biff Bang Pow ( Creation 1986 )
4. At The Barrier - Shy Impostors ( Phantom Aust 1980 )
5. Porcelain - The Clientele ( Slumberland 2001 )
6. I Will Die With My Head in Flames - Felt ( Creation 1986 )
7. Legrand Illusion- Gnac ( Amberley 1998 )
8. Under The Milky Way - The Church ( Mushroom Aust 1987 )
9. Plain Sailing - Tracey Thorn ( Cherry Red 1982 )
10. All Join Hands - TV 21 ( Decca 1982 )
( duration 29 mins, 320kps mp3 )








XL Capris were around in Sydney from around 1979-83 ish and featured Johanna Pigott on vocals who went on to from another band called Scribble and also released a few songs under her own name. I dunno if you can read the sticker on the front of the Darling Buds cover, put there by the record shop ( I think it was Red Eye ) but it says "Out Fuzzes The Primitives" which makes me chuckle !! The band Shy Impostors were from Sydney and featured Peter Oxley & Richard Burgman who then went on to form The Sunnyboys, with the mighty Jeremy Oxley. 'At The Barrier' came out on Phantom Records which I had a little rave about in an earlier post. The Clientele...god I love The Clientele - AND especially this record, it's a Double A side with The Saturday People doing "Grace" as the other A side. The Felt song is the B-side to 'Rain Of Crystal Spires'. The Gnac track was one of three tracks on an Ep called "In Mauve". and finally I need to comment on the TV 21 single as it's not their usual sound, mostly due to being produced by Mike Howlett, and his work in the 8o's synth vein I always seem to enjoy. Yeah, love your work Mike !!

No comments: