Sunday, February 4, 2007

podcast #23 - don't you love it when...

..when you find a record you had forgotten you had...AND it's a good one !

Seems in 2005 I bought an EP on Tragadiscos from Spain, "A Pop split" ( number 26 of 250 ) with The Lucksmiths, Nice Man, Sodastream, The Shermans, Pipas & Charm Filter. Wow. It's a really good EP and I don't even remember buying it !! My head was in a weird spot in 2005 for various reasons and I must have blocked this record. Oh well, I've found it again. Juicy.

Next, a confession.

One of the records featured here doesn't technically belong to me. I borrowed it from a library in 1991 and..er..."forgot" to return it. It also happens to be a very unusual little gem, so to be quite truthful at this point I can predict my memory only getting much worse in the 'remembering to take it back' stakes. Unless the Library SWAT Police kick my door down now.

It's the one called Cowboy Kulla below, which is a Bollywood 7" - yeah it's the one with the library card ;p

There was a period when I went through this particular record library ( which had a very extensive collection of music from other countries ) and went through the 500+ Bollywood albums. Mostly trying to find the ones which had a crossover into Western music, and found some great stuff !! & taped a lot of them but also then went out and bought quite a few albums. Inspired by the appearance today of the Cowboy Kulla single I have made a full Bollywood podcast on a new blog I've started called The Burning Train, which will have some of the more unsual Bollywood efforts discovered in this period of my life, well the ones I could locate today in a hurry. If you feel inclined for a very "different listening experience", go over to that blog and check out the Bollywood Podcast !!

But back to Cowboy Kulla, it's in the Kannada language, so most likely from the Kerala region in southern India, and Cowboy Kulla is the name of the film. I can only guess it has a Cowboy theme, never haven seen the film, this is not to say the songs on the single have that goin' on. It definitely has it's own thing going on. Which you will discover, is how I will leave it. Other than to say I love it !!


Podcast 23 - link



Sideroom 7 Inch Singles Podcast #23
1.
The Night We Flew Out The Window - Fantastic Something ( Blanco y Negro 1985 )
2. All This World - Arco ( Dreamy 2000 )
3. Now I'm Even Further Away - The Lucksmiths ( Tragadiscos 2005)
4. January - Pilot ( EMI 1975)
5. All Day Long - Shop Assistants ( Subway 1985 )
6. Spit It Out - And So To Bed ( Timebox 1987 )
7. Sunshine Superman - The Sports ( Mushroom Aus 1981 )
8. Ondennu Onti Hennu - P Susheela & Chorus ( Odeon 1973 )
9. Animal Cannabus - Mull Historical Society ( Rough Trade 2001 )
10. Block Of Wood - The Bats ( Flying Nun NZ 1987 )
( duration 31 mins, 320kps mp3 )


7 comments:

ourpeboritp!o!p! said...

Hi Bruce...
any info on the band called And So To Bed? Thanks.

Jessel

sideroom said...

not a lot...all I know from the cover of the single is - they were English, from 11 Chaplin Rd London, NW2 and werea five piece outfit featuring

Leo - vocals
Martin - bass
Paul - drums
Eusebio - guitar
Sean - guitar

and that's about all I know/ever knew !!

Anonymous said...

How bizarre...late night surfing and I find the only person who owns an And So To Bed EP. I'm the aforementioned Eusebio on guitar and we played a lot of gigs around 86-87 but I left the band just after the the single recorded and was released. Its was only a 500 or 1000 pressing and even I don't have a copy, where did you get it from? They never released anything else after I left so that & the other 3 tracks are our entire recording career.

Anonymous said...

How bizarre...late night surfing and I find the only person who owns an And So To Bed EP. I'm the aforementioned Eusebio on guitar and we played a lot of gigs around 86-87 but I left the band just after the the single recorded and was released. Its was only a 500 or 1000 pressing and even I don't have a copy, where did you get it from? They never released anything else after I left so that & the other 3 tracks are our entire recording career.

sideroom said...

Hi Eusebio

I got my copy here in Sydney around that time, I can send you the mp3's of this ep if you like...email me at

bruceydale@yahoo.com.au

if you'd like a copy

cheers

Bruce

Rupert Cook said...

I've been hunting for that And So To Bed single for some time. Was on ebay up for auction until the seller sold it early and cancelled the auction. How I'd love a vinyl copy. If you ever need money and want to sell it I'd make you a good offer.

sideroom said...

Hi Rupert

I love my records but if I ever think in a million years of selling any of them, you'll be the first to know !!

cheers

Bruce