Saturday, June 2, 2007

#40, a story of producers

Starting with an early Cameron Allen production, The Numbers - as in the Sydney band - ironically The Riptides ( nee The Numbers in Brisbane ) also show up today. Followed by some very frisky Housemartins and an Italian lass called Vibeke I know nothing about ( other than on the cover she's sporting some hair a few Sarah Records bands would die for - the guys I mean ). Then we have The Gobs produced by John Brand - any info on who he was anybody ??

The Smiths of course looked after themselves with the help of one Stephen Street ( !! ) after they got jack of Troy Tate that is...

I know very little about The Great Outdoors, other than they're Londoners ( like Davey Jones ?? ) and were produced by Pat Collier, who worked with The Wonder Stuff amongst others.

There's been a zillion bands called ( The ) Boys, the one here today is the Perth band, produced by Mark Moffat.

Then we come to Split Enz, and I really only started this whole "producer" rant so I could pay homage to David Tickle. I think ( and Enz fans feel free to shoot me down here ) I See Red was the first Tickle produced track ( ?? ) and he was only about 18 at the time ( ?? ). Anyway of course he went on to produce some awesome music with the Enz and I was basically sad to see him go as producer ( another naff Guidinski idea ?? )

Tickle update : just Googled him - turns out I See Red was the first venture with Split Enz, looks like he was 19 or 20 at the time. I was also amazed to read he was also a so called "trainee" engineer on Heart Of Glass by Blondie ! Good one Davey !! Seems I was wrong to blame Guidinski for his departure though - word is his ego got outa control and the band got jack of him...get a grip Davey !!

Podcast 40 link for mp3
Podcast 40 link for text file tracklisting



Sideroom 7 Inch Singles Podcast #40
1.
A Five Letter Word - The Numbers ( Deluxe Aust 1980 ) ( 0.00 - 2.47 )
2. Five Get Over Excited - The Housemartins ( Chrysalis 1987 ) ( 2.47 - 5.23 )
3. A Me Piace Lui- Vibeke ( RCA Italiana 196?) ( 5.23 - 8.08 )
4. Cattle And Cane - The Go-Betweens ( Rough Trade 1983 ) ( 8.08 - 12.03 )
5. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before - The Smiths ( Rough Trade 1987 ) ( 12.03 - 15.30 )
6. Tomorrow's Tears - The Riptides ( Flat Recs Aust 1979 ) ( 15.30 - 18.31 )
7. Great Romance - Great Outdoors ( Uptight Recs 1986) ( 18.31 - 22.11 )
8. When You're Lonely- Boys ( Parole Aust 1980 ) ( 22.11 - 25.37 )
9. I See Red - Split Enz ( Illegal Recs UK 1979 ) ( 25.37 - 28.49 )
10. Mad World - Tears For Fears ( Mercury 1982 ) ( 28.49 - 32.20 )
( duration 32 mins, 320kps mp3 )



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man, great post. All of this is good!

sideroom said...

cheers josh !!

Overhere said...

Nice one sideroom - I'm also working on the Dungeon tapes for you - possibly next weekend.

sideroom said...

wow, thanks that sounds awesome

stranded said...

Thanks...I had forgotten all about the Boys When You're Lonely.

sideroom said...

yeah, it's a great song !!

somewhere I have 2 others by them "Weoh Weoh Weoh" and the name of the 2 one currently slips my brain...